Flood Modelling Services
Flood models help you understand flood risk to an existing or proposed development.
Aegaea are experts in flood modelling across the UK, creating compliant models for The Environment Agency, SEPA and NRW. We have experts in Flood Modeller, TUFLOW, HEC-RAS and Infoworks - we have all the tools to support you.
Flood Modelling Services
When are flood models required?
Flood models are required to determine the risk of flooding to a site when an initial desktop review has shown the site may be located within a floodplain. This may be due to:
- The site being located within Flood Zone 2 or Flood Zone 3
- A watercourse within close proximity of the site
- The site shown as being at risk from surface water flooding.
Detailed modelling is often needed for detailed planning applications where national scale mapping is either not available, or not fit for purpose.
Flood modelling can bridge the gap to ensure your planning application has the most accurate data to gain approval. Aegaea are experts in integrated catchment modelling, fluvial flooding, hydrology and flood risk and can advise on flood modelling anywhere in the UK and internationally.
Leading Flood Modelling Experts from Aegaea
Flood Modelling for planning applications
What is Flood Modelling?
Flood modelling uses predicted river flows, rainfall, and coastal levels combined with topographic data and flow equations to generate flood risk information (such as depth, velocity, flood levels, and hazards).
Does a flood model of this watercourse already exist?
The answer may well be yes. If your site is located in an urban area or by a significant watercourse, the Environment Agency may already hold a hydraulic model that can be utilised to inform a site-specific assessment of risk. Aegaea will submit a request to the Environment Agency, obtain a copy of this model for you (if available) and review it to ensure it is suitable for use in a Flood Risk Assessment and identify any areas of improvement required to ensure a smooth journey through planning.
What if the watercourse is unmodelled?
Not to worry – our team of in-house experts will be able to guide you through the next steps to establish the risk to your site and to provide you with everything you need to submit your development for planning. Please see our ‘Bespoke Model Build’ page for more information.
How we can support you?
- Aegaea are experts in flood modelling and are able to interpret detailed information, commenting on flood models, or reviewing national scale information.
- We can support your project from the pre-planning stages through to submission of the application by reducing risk, sizing attenuation, advising on the design, or undertaking a flood map challenge.
- Our team have the industry knowledge and skills to help you access the required data, use it effectively, and bring a high-quality product that has impact for you.
Request your free, expert quote now
Aegaea work alongside home owners, private developers, planning consultants, architects, local authorities, international development agencies and contractors. Aegaea know exactly how to help you.